A ligament is a fibrous tissue that connects bone to bone. It also holds structures together and ensures their stability. Ligaments are made of collagen, which gives them elasticity. Ligament injuries can have a negative impact on your productivity because they affect the joints that are essential for movement. Ligament injuries are also excruciatingly painful.
To avoid these injuries, do not make sudden movements that can cause joint overstretching, and make your exercise routine gradual so that your ligaments acclimate to your workouts. If you suspect that you have ligament injuries and are experiencing back, neck, joint, or muscle pain, visit Back & Neck Care Center of North County in Florissant, MO, for quality chiropractic care.
Causes of Ligament Injuries
The following are the two major causes of ligament injuries:
- Twisting of a body part causing a tear or a stretch
- Accidents leading to tears
Common Ligament Injuries
You can tell that you have suffered a ligament injury if you are experiencing the following symptoms:
- Whiplash, back, or neck sprain
- Shoulder dislocation or rotator cuff tear
- Ankle sprains or Achilles’ rupture
- Patella dislocation or Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) tear
These treatment procedures are used to relieve pain and swelling associated with ligament injuries:
- Constriction/compression of the injured area to reduce swelling
- Rest to allow time for recovery by using a bandage or elastic clothing
- Raising the affected body part above the level of the heart to aid in blood flow control
- Applying an ice pack to the injured area to alleviate pain
If these treatments fail it is time to consult with a chiropractor. Chiropractors are trained professionals who provide an expert assessment and can recommend a course of action.
The Benefits of Chiropractic Care
Chiropractic care has several advantages including:
- Non-invasive and drug-free
- Chiropractors use holistic methods with no side effects
- Proper alignment of the joints getting to the root cause
- Chiropractors use therapies to strengthen the muscles
Contact Back & Neck Care Center of North County in Florissant, MO
Do you have ligament injuries causing back, neck, joint, or muscle pains? Dr. Stark will provide you with high-quality chiropractic care to effectively treat your ligament injury. Call our team today at (314) 838-2220 or reach us through our website by using our online contact form.