Herniated Disc Treatment from Our Chiropractor in Florissant, MO
Spinal discs are soft, disc-like structures located between the bones of your spine (vertebrae). These spinal discs absorb shock and improve mobility within your entire spinal column. Like other structures in your body, these discs are subject to injury, including an injury called disc herniation. Our chiropractor in Florissant, MO wants you to know about herniated disc symptoms and how herniated discs are treated.
What Is a Herniated Disc?
Spinal discs have a gel-like inner core and a fibrous outer layer. A herniated disc happens when the fibrous outer layer of the disc ruptures and the inner gel-like material leaks out into the surrounding area. The damaged disc material can trigger pain receptors and compress nearby joints or nerve roots.
A bulging disc occurs when the disc abnormally bulges out of place, but doesn't actually rupture. Both herniated and bulging discs can develop due to factors such as:
- Advancing age
- Poor posture
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Frequent heavy lifting
- Sudden trauma, such as an auto accident, sports injury, or fall
Herniated discs can occur anywhere in the spine, but they most often develop in the neck (cervical spine) or lower back (lumbar spine).
Herniated Disc Symptoms
When a herniated disc leads to symptoms, a person may notice:
- Pain, stiffness, and muscle tightness or guarding at the level of the disc herniation
- Pain, stiffness, numbness, and tingling in an arm or leg innervated by the spinal nerve being compressed by the herniated disc
- Pain that gets better or worse with certain movements (e.g., many people find their herniated disc symptoms improve when they bend backward and get worse when they bend forward)
Herniated Disc and Bulging Disc Treatment fith Our Florissant Chiropractor
As a trusted Florissant chiropractor, Dr. Jeffrey R. Stark helps hundreds of people every year who are looking for relief from herniated disc symptoms. He provides non-invasive drug-free services that promote disc healing, reduce associated nerve compression, and prevent recurring disc damage. Some of our top services for people with herniated discs include:
- Non-surgical spinal decompression, which creates "negative pressure" to help retract the nerve back into place and attract healing fluids and nutrients to the disc
- Spinal adjustments
- Exercises and stretches to improve posture and core stability
- Lifestyle counseling
- Non-invasive modalities like electrical stimulation for fast pain relief
Are You Struggling with a Herniated Disc?
If you live near Florissant, MO, and are looking for a chiropractor who can help your body recover from a herniated disc or some other injury, contact the Back and Neck Care Center of North County today. Call or text (314) 838-2220 to schedule an appointment!