According to the World Health Organization (WHO), about 50% of adults globally experience headache disorders. Headache disorders are a range of nervous system conditions where the head experiences painful symptoms. Examples of headache disorders include headaches and migraines.
Many people have a hard time differentiating between headaches and migraines. However, it is essential to know the difference between the two because it means you will get better treatment and faster relief.
What Are Headaches?
A headache is a nervous system condition that causes aching or pressure pain in your head. Headache intensity ranges from mild to severe. They occur on any part of your head, including your temples, forehead, and the back of your neck. Headaches last for about 30 minutes to a week. There are different headaches with varying causes like medical conditions, stress, overdose, infections, and other independent causes.
What Are the Types of Headaches?
Some headaches include:
- Tension Headaches: Tension headaches are the most common headaches. It often starts at the back and spreads forward to both sides of your head. Some causes of tension headaches include stress, eyestrain, hunger, and more.
- Cluster Headaches: Cluster headaches are excruciating headaches that people experience in clusters. It means that you get multiple headaches about the same time each day for weeks or months. They occur when blood vessels dilate as a result of histamines and serotonin release.
- Sinus Headaches: A sinus headache is a pain that occurs around your cheeks, eyes, and nose. They occur when the sinus swells because of congestion or sickness. These headaches are usually most painful when you bend forward or in the morning.
What Are Migraine Headaches?
Migraines are a neurological disorder caused by changes in chemicals and neural pathways. These changes affect the blood in your brain and surrounding tissues, which results in various symptoms which include:
- Extreme fatigue
- Increased sensitivity to sound, smell, or light
Migraines have various causes, which include:
- Allergies: Allergies cause inflammations and irritations. Some of these inflammations include inflammation of blood vessels, which are known to cause migraines.
- Gender or Hormonal Shifts: The chances of women getting migraines are three times higher than those of men because of hormonal changes and the menstrual cycle.
- Genetics and Family History: You are more likely to suffer from migraines if a family member suffers from migraines. Scientists also suggest that genetic mutations can cause migraines.
- Environmental Causes: Environmental causes include a wide range of factors like weather changes, lack of sleep, food, stress, and smells.
Can I Get Treatment for Headaches and Migraine Headaches in Florissant, MO?
Yes. There are various treatment approaches for headaches and migraines. They include:
- Over-the-counter-medications like melatonin.
- Prescription medication like antidepressants.
- Lifestyle changes like improving sleeping habits.
Call Back and Neck Care Center of North County Today
In Florissant, MO, you can get professional and chiropractor help and headache medications from the Back and Neck Care Center of North County. Contact us now at (314)838-2220.