What Causes Lower Back Pain and How Is It Treated?
Pain in the back is considered one of the most common reasons people miss work or go to a doctor. According to world statistics, about 85% of people experience this type of pain at some point in their lives.
In most cases, lower back pain is caused by soft-tissue or mechanical injuries. These injuries can include compression of nerve roots, improper function of the spinal joints, and damage to the discs. However, there are also other possible causes of low back pain that deserve attention:
- Muscle and ligament strains
- Lumbar herniated discs
- Degenerative disc disease (the medical condition when discs lose hydration)
- Spinal stenosis (narrowing of the spinal canal which causes pain)
- Osteoarthritis (wear and tear of the discs and facet joints)
- Spinal infections
- Sciatica (the irritation of the sciatic nerve - the longest nerve in the human body)
- Scoliosis (sideways curvature of the spine)
Treatment depends on how severe the pain is and its cause. Normally, if it was caused by an injury, the pain should go away with the help of home remedies within 72 hours. The remedies include limited bed rest and ice and heat therapy. If they do not help, then it is important to see s doctor as soon as possible.
In most cases, a doctor will recommend the following treatments:
- Physical therapy (includes massage, special strengthening and stretching exercises)
- Surgery (recommended in some serious and severe cases)
Will a Chiropractor Help?
Chiropractors are specialists that use spinal manipulations and some other chiropractic techniques to help patients with low back pain. By using spinal manipulations, they relax the irritated muscles and reduce the intensity of the pain. They also often use a technique called traction (with pulleys and weights) that result in temporary relief and speeds up the recovery process.
A Chiropractor in Florissant, MO For Your Better Quality of Life
If you have experienced an injury and now suffering from the pain in the back, chiropractic care is a perfect solution for you. Back & Neck Care Center of North County has been serving patients from Florissant, MO and other surrounding areas for over 30 years. Our chiropractors have successfully treated thousands of patients with different conditions, including acute and chronic pain in the back. Do not postpone your recovery anymore - give us a call to schedule an appointment with one of our chiropractors.